Thursday, March 12, 2015

Welcome Home!

The Gustie Women are back from abroad! 

For those of you who read our earlier blog post (you didn't, here is the link) about our player's excitement to travel abroad over the month of January, they have returned!!! Not only have they returned, but returned with many once in a lifetime memories and new friendships.  Studying abroad is deeply rooted in the Gustavus College experience, and we encourage all of our players to take advantage of the wonderful opportunity.  So, now, let's get to the good stuff, aka the post-study abroad follow up interviews:

Coursey Edwards

Where: Germany, France, England, Ireland
Tottenham vs. Leicester City 

What was your favorite place you visited or the favorite part of your trip?
My favorite place I visited was London.  I went to an FA Cup game and watched the Tottenham

Hotspurs play Leicester City.  We had front row seats behind one of the goals!  Can't beat those seats!  That was an incredible experience and one I will remember forever.

Out of all the incredible food and drinks each country has to offer, what was the best and why?
I really enjoyed the typical German food.  My favorite food was the sausage and sauerkraut. I grew up eating this meal, so it comforted me while I was overseas.
Coursey at the Notre Dame

What was the greatest cultural experience you encountered? 
I think my greatest cultural experience was when I was in Paris and I could not communicate with the French because of the language barrier.  I attended Mass at Notre Dame and found that to be an eye opening experience because of the barrier and also because it was Notre Dame, so how could it not be?

A message to future Gusties: 
Studying abroad is definitely worth the time and money because you come back a changed person for the better.  You get to embrace the culture you are in and experience things you otherwise couldn't in the states.  It is truly an unforgettable time.



Kendyl Landeck
Where: Germany

Rothenburg ob der Tauber
What was your favorite place you visited or your favorite part of your trip? 
This question is so hard because all of it was my favorite.  If I had to choose a favorite small town, it would have to be Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  This is a small medieval town that still has the original wall surrounding it from back in the 13th century.

Out of all the incredible food and drinks the country has to offer, what was the best and why? 
All the food was delicious, however there was one desert that I was served constantly, because of my lactose sensitivity, that I grew to love.  It's called Rote Grutze, which is a read fruit jam.  At first it feels like you are just eating a bowl of jam, but by the end of the trip I looked forward to eating it after dinner.  My favorite drink was probably Apfelschorle, which is made with carbonated mineral water and apple juice.  It's just like a sparkling cider. So delicious!!

What was the greatest cultural experience you encountered? 
Kendyl with Host Family
The greatest cultural experience was in Northern Germany, where we stayed with host families.  Staying with a host family allowed me to learn more about the differences within the German culture and also experience traditional homemade food.

A message to future Gusties: 
Studying abroad allows you to meet amazing people in the country you are traveling to, but especially during J-Term, you also meet amazing Gusties.  I was able to make 15 new friends that I had never known at Gustavus before.  The time you spend together allows you to grow close and the bond you create, specifically in a different environment, holds you together for a long time.

BRITTANY CHASE

Where: South Africa

Post-Interview still to come... keep checking back!


No comments:

Post a Comment