Friday, December 15, 2017

Our triple sport student athlete!



Some people find that playing one sport in college is difficult.... but have they tried THREE? I (Emily Skogseth) sat down with first year, Maddie McDermott, to find out just how much of a super human she really is! Not only is Maddie involved with three different sports teams on campus, she also takes being a mulitasker one step further and is the 1ST CHAIR (not to mention as a first year) Oboe player in the Wind Symphony
at Gustavus...


1. What three sports teams do you play on and what instrument do you play? 
Maddie is on the soccer team, the track team, and the nordic ski team. She plays the Oboe in the Wind symphony and I want to emphasis that she picked it because, "it just sounded the weirdest."


2. What is the best part about playing three sports at Gustavus?
"Well you are definitely never bored." She expressed how she gets to meet a bunch of different people all on campus. Being in different sports allows her to meet different groups and get to know a lot of people while competing in the sports she loves!



3. What is the hardest part about playing three sports and an instrument?
Maddie said that the hardest part about playing three sports and an instrument on campus was managing her time. She is usually going from one thing to the next so making sure to find time to study and do her homework is sometimes challenging. It's called athlete-student right?! 

4. What is your favorite part about playing an instrument? What is your favorite genre to play?
"There is a lot of different instruments that come together to sound good and to play a song." She expressed how she likes that part about music in general and likes to be apart of that little piece that makes a song sound good. Her favorite genre of music to play is Christmas music of course!

5. How do you manage your time between sports, band, and school?
"Its definitely a compromise. I cannot do full sports but I take it day by day and week by week depending on what sport has what each week." We talked about how great all of the Gustie coaches are with being flexible about her leaving practice early or coming late. As for school its really about getting things done on time and keeping up with school work as she gets it. 

5. What is your favorite thing to do at Gustavus out of all of the actives that you are involved in? (No pressure this is just going on the soccer blog) :) 
She actually said whichever season she was in, she liked that one the best! She expressed how much she likes all activities that she is involved in and she couldn't pick her favorite. (But we of course know that soccer is the best)



6. What is your favorite memory of playing any of your sports careers?
"When my nordic team went to state my senior year. The three years before that I was unfortunately one spot off from going to state each year so when we made it my senior year it was really exciting and it was a really cool experience."




7. Whats your favorite part about Gustavus? 
"I really like that my classes are small and that the campus is small. Especially in the winter it is nice that my walk to my classes are short and I don't have to be in the cold for very long."

8. Most importantly, whats your favorite food to eat?
"I would either pick chocolate or chicken strips." This was then followed by all the weird different combinations that you can eat with chicken strips. Waffles with chicken strips, peanut butter with chicken strips, we decided that chocolate and chicken strips would probably be the best because why not put your two favorite food together?

9. Is there any sport that you ever wanted to play but didn't?
"I always wanted to play volleyball but I was too busy. I also used to play basketball but quickly switched to Nordic."

10. Why don't you play 4 sports? 
(Most serious answer I received through the interview) "Well I don't know, if I was good at another one I would probably play that one too.."


11. How does it feel being the coolest three sport athlete on campus?
My favorite response of the entire interview "Um good."


It was so fun to be able to sit down with our favorite oboe playing, triple sport, student athlete. Thank you Maddie for dealing with my questions and giving us all an insight on what it is like to be the coolest three sport athlete on campus!








No comments:

Post a Comment