Thursday, August 8, 2019

Hi, I'm Zoe! πŸ‘‹



Hi Everyone!

My name is Zoe Eth, and I am the new Grad Assistant Women’s Soccer Coach at Gustavus Adolphus College. I am so excited to get started for the Fall 2019 season. Coach and I are eagerly counting down the days until preseason (follow @gustiesoccer on instagram)!

A quick synopsis of my background: I grew up in the Boston area (about 30 minutes west of the city), and went to William Smith College for undergrad. William Smith might sound familiar, as coach also went there, AND we both wore #8! I studied Biology and Health Professions in college. During my soccer career, I played a couple positions, but settled in at holding midfield. I've always been a more defensive player, and love defensive tactics, so holding mid was a great fit. Although I loved my entire soccer experience, 2013 was definitely a highlight year, as we won the NCAA DIII National Championship. Post grad, I coached at William Smith for three years both as the Head JV coach, and an assistant with the Varsity Team, and worked in the Admissions Office. During my seven years at William Smith, the program has had a tremendous amount of success on the soccer field, here’s a quick run down:

Conference Tournament:
7 Liberty League Championships (2012-2018)

NCAA Tournament:
1 National Championship (2013)
3 Elite Eight Appearances (2015, 2016, 2018)
1 Third Round Appearance (2017)
2 Second Round Appearances (2012, 2014)

I started coaching during my junior season in college. About ⅔ of the way through that season, I tore my ACL for the third time. I worked with the coaches every day to find another way to make a positive impact on the team without being on the field. This turned into a student coaching role. After that first practice, in a coaching role, I knew this was what I wanted to pursue as a career and as my passion. After spending a total of 7 years at William Smith, it was time to take the next step forward, take on more responsibilities, and learn from another great program.

You might be asking, “Zoe, why Gustavus?” To answer, I want to explain one of the biggest takeaways from my former head coach (and hall of famer), Aliceann Wilber. Something I’ve heard Aliceann say countless times over the past 7 years is that, she is surrounded by great people, from staff, administration, student-athletes, athletic trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, field managers, etc. When I started looking for full time coaching positions, Aliceann’s message was constantly ringing through my ears. It wasn’t only the soccer piece to consider. Rather, will the people around you push you to your best and will you consistently challenge one another to improve.

When I visited Gustavus for the first time this past June, I met the team and various members of the athletic department. From those interactions, and an in depth Q & A with the team, it was clear that by working at Gustavus I would be surrounded by genuine, confident, driven, and selfless people. In the end, it made my decision to move to Minnesota extremely easy. Gustavus is a place to grow as teammate and person, where you’ll find support during failures, and a whole institution behind you to celebrate every win.

Here’s to the start of a new chapter and new season!
#AsOne #GustieSoccer

No comments:

Post a Comment