Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Alum Highlight Series: Wendy Ericksen Bachman '87

Welcome to our Alum Highlight Series! We've asked Gustie Soccer Alumnae to respond to the same 10 questions. Our alums are of various graduating years, played different positions, and have followed different paths post graduation!

Wendy Ericksen Bachman '87 is a campus legend. She is a frequent attendee of BoomTime (pick up soccer for Gustie Employees), involved in almost every (if not all) visitors to campus, was a four time All-Conference recipient, and is in the Gustavus Athletics Hall of Fame!
We are pleased to introduce you to Wendy Ericksen Bachman '87:

Ashely Becker '19 and Wendy Bachman '87


What advice would you give to a senior in high school deciding between schools to attend?
As an alum, an employee, a Gustie Parent and a past student-athlete at Gustavus, I would say CHOOSE GUSTAVUS! I can see first-hand the amazing things that are happening at Gustavus right now and how excited everyone is about the future of this institution. I can hear families who visit Gustavus talk about how amazingly kind and friendly every single person is that they came in contact with during their visit. I can feel the Gustie Pride bursting at the seams with our alumni, my classmates and teammates, my Gustie kids and their lifelong Gustie friends, my co-workers at Gustavus and every stranger who yells "Go Gusties" in the airport when I am wearing my Gustie gear. I honestly get SO EXCITED when anyone I know chooses Gustavus (or their children choose Gustavus) because I know they are going to be well cared for, they are going to be even more incredible human beings when they leave this place, they are going to learn a TON and they will leave with lifelong friends....none of which, can you tag with a price. Which is why I also say that a Gustavus education is priceless and only Gusties (and probably their parents) can understand why.


Why did you decide to attend Gustavus?
I wanted a college that was selective with their applicants and had a reputation for high academic rigor. Gustavus was one of only a few in MN at the time. I had visited a couple times overnight with my friend whose brother was attending and I had a blast, so it became my choice. As a side note, the women's soccer coach got a list of FY names who indicated at (summer) Registration that they would be interested in playing. She called me 2 weeks before pre-season with details on when to report to campus and where to go.

What was your top Gustavus Soccer Highlight?
It should probably be winning the Conference Championship in 1984 (the 1st one for Gustavus women's soccer!) but honestly, it was my whole senior season-1986. We spent 4 years working hard, not knowing what the end goal was but just knowing we loved the game, loved to win and loved each other. We had a different head coach each of my 4 years. Tim Kennedy was my last one and the most important one. While he did not know much about the game, he knew how to coach and he did his homework. He legitimized the women's soccer team at Gustavus. He recruited. He ordered new uniforms. He planned out-of-state travel experiences for the team. He videotaped our games. He stayed for MORE than one season! This seems menial compared to today's standards for college coaches but trust me, it was HUGE. Our confidence, drive and our goals finally matched our ability and we were a force to be reckoned with....ending the season ranked 17th in the nation. THAT was my top soccer highlight....growing up with a peon program in the early years of women's soccer at Gustavus and ending up with a team that earned national recognition in Division III women's soccer. It was something I will never forget.... with teammates I will never forget.

Did you study abroad while at Gustavus? If so, where, and what was your experience like?
I studied in Toulon, France spring semester of my junior year. It was life-changing. 1980's--no cell phones, computers, internet, etc. I said goodbye to my family knowing I would not see them for 6 months. I heard my mom's voice only one time in those 6 months when we arranged for a very expensive phone call. I was the only one from Gustavus heading to the program. I lived with a French family who knew little to no English. I traveled extensively during the semester with my classmates and then traveled throughout Europe for a month, solo, before I headed back to the U.S.. That experience changed me in so many ways, it is hard to put on paper. I always encourage college students to find a way to study abroad. You will never regret it.

What advice would you give to a first year student at Gustavus?
Put yourself out there. This is a fresh start for every first year who comes to Gustavus. Decide what you want out of your college experience and make it happen! You are in the driver's seat and the only one with the knowledge and power to achieve your goals. Aim High!!

What did you major in at Gustavus?
I majored in International Management and French.

What extracurriculars were you involved in at Gustavus?
I played soccer for 4 years, softball for 1 yr, IM broomball and softball, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, and.... I was a THETA!
What field are you in now?
I am currently the Visit Coordinator for the Admission Office at Gustavus. 
How did you end up there?--post college, I managed Lady Footlocker stores for 8 years that took me from the Twin Cities area to Richmond, VA and back again. We moved to St. Peter in 1994 a year after my husband started teaching at the high school here. I stayed on with Lady Footlocker for two more years on a part-time basis and then resigned after our 3rd child was born and started working at the Information Desk in Lund Center part time! I spent 11 years working part time (eves and weekends) in Lund and then at the Book Mark while staying home with our 4 children by day. In 2007, I took a position in the Admission Office at Gustavus. Not counting a 4 year stint back at the Book Mark, the Admission Office has been my work home ever since. In addition, in 2009 I started our family business "Auntie Wendy's Kettle Corn" which allows our family to work together and to be outside in the spring, summer and fall months selling a product that makes people happy!

How did Gustavus prepare you to go into this field?
The top 3 things I learned while at Gustavus: 1) Critical thinking--there are lots of ways to look at things and the best idea/thought may not be your own. 2) Hard work pays off--Gusties are "do-ers", they raise their hand, they get stuff done.... I love that about us! 3) It is easy to be kind to people...and grateful....and friendly! My classmates and teammates modeled that for me daily. **To answer the question....these 3 things (among many others) have prepared me to do all the things I have done in my chosen fields: manage people, care for customers, manage a household, build a community playground, serve my church, collaborate with co-workers, start a business, do research, develop a product, problem-solve, manage adversity, be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment